Through my years at North Central, I've tried to improve both of my classrooms to make them appealing learning environments for all of my students.
Initially, most of my time was spent updating the high school art room because I was there the majority of my day. I've made many changes to that art room - check them out HERE and HERE, too! There is always room for improvement, but overall I am fairly content with the state of that room.
My focus lately has been shifted to my elementary room in Hermansville. I have updated it gradually through the years, but not as much as I would like. I still have a lot of ideas of things I'd like to do. My high school room is decorated mainly with COOL colors (blues, greens, and purples, as seen above). My idea is to have my elementary room contain mainly WARM colors in addition to a handful of rainbow items of course.
First up, BEFORE photos of the current elementary room:
I've wanted to paint the back wall of my classroom ever since I first saw it, but have not found the time to do so. With all of our recent snow days due to the "polar vortex" I've spent many days at home... and after 12 of these said snow days... cabin fever definitely was REAL for me. That being said... I decided this was the time to get this project done!
When I went to the store to purchase the three colors I needed, I knew that it was the right time to paint! Conveniently, paint was on clearance and I was able to get all of the paint I needed for $10 total! Can't beat that!
This was a great time for me to get this project done, because I had ample time to let the paint dry, and things wouldn't be disrupted at all. You can see from the photo above that snow removal was no joke during our almost two full weeks off from school.
My goal for the first day of painting was
to get one coat over the entire wall.
My progress from this day can be seen below.
On day 2 I added a second coat, filled in all of the edging, and did an initial layer on the blended sections. My progress can be seen below. Almost done!
At this point, I was exhausted and called it a night on Day 2.
One more day of final touches, blending, and clean-up to go!
On Day 3, I touched up the edges, finished the blending areas, and decided to make the end portion all red because the fourth color did not cover like I hoped. Final results can be seen below!
While paint was drying, I also added some Christmas lights!
Before & After
I can't wait to show my students this week!
6th Grade Coil Pots are starting to transform with tempera PAINT! Check out what they used to look like before being fired HERE.
Next week, students have one more day to finish up their project. Check back for final pictures soon!
5th graders finally got to have Art again! I have missed them! We are continuing to work on our warm colored tree painting we started oh so long ago!
This week (12/14) we added the final dazzling touch - GLITTER :)
Sometimes projects don't go quite as I planned. These were supposed to be really detailed owl paintings, but the painting day was filled with mistakes. There were lots of spills, and tears, oh my! SO, the following week I decided to let them have fun and finish them how they pleased - using marker or oil pastel :) The results were cute... even if it wasn't exactly how I'd planned it.
2nd Grade artists completed this lovely sunset paintings. The process went something like this:
1. Draw a sunset design with black sharpie marker
2. Fill in the white paper with watercolor paint. Warm colors for the sky. Cool colors for the ocean.
3. Go over the dried paint with oil pastel to enhance the color.
4. Matte the final painting on blue construction paper to finalize it.
The results are fantastic, and the 2nd graders had a lot of fun completing this project!
We had our first experience with watercolor paint yesterday with 1st Grade! It went fairly well, even with a Severe Weather Drill. 1st Graders are working on Serapes. Serapes are blankets native to Mexico, and are a great intro project to teach lines to younger art students.
Lines that were taught - wavy, zig-zag, straight, looped, broken, dotted, spiral and thick/thin. The lines were drawn with crayon, and our beautiful watercolor paint was added on top of it. This process is called a resist. The results are not quite finished, but I had to post the images taken so far. Up next, we'll add a cut paper fringe to the end to work on our fine motor skills.