Through my years at North Central, I've tried to improve both of my classrooms to make them appealing learning environments for all of my students.
Initially, most of my time was spent updating the high school art room because I was there the majority of my day. I've made many changes to that art room - check them out HERE and HERE, too! There is always room for improvement, but overall I am fairly content with the state of that room.
My focus lately has been shifted to my elementary room in Hermansville. I have updated it gradually through the years, but not as much as I would like. I still have a lot of ideas of things I'd like to do. My high school room is decorated mainly with COOL colors (blues, greens, and purples, as seen above). My idea is to have my elementary room contain mainly WARM colors in addition to a handful of rainbow items of course.
First up, BEFORE photos of the current elementary room:
I've wanted to paint the back wall of my classroom ever since I first saw it, but have not found the time to do so. With all of our recent snow days due to the "polar vortex" I've spent many days at home... and after 12 of these said snow days... cabin fever definitely was REAL for me. That being said... I decided this was the time to get this project done!
When I went to the store to purchase the three colors I needed, I knew that it was the right time to paint! Conveniently, paint was on clearance and I was able to get all of the paint I needed for $10 total! Can't beat that!
This was a great time for me to get this project done, because I had ample time to let the paint dry, and things wouldn't be disrupted at all. You can see from the photo above that snow removal was no joke during our almost two full weeks off from school.
My goal for the first day of painting was
to get one coat over the entire wall.
My progress from this day can be seen below.
On day 2 I added a second coat, filled in all of the edging, and did an initial layer on the blended sections. My progress can be seen below. Almost done!
At this point, I was exhausted and called it a night on Day 2.
One more day of final touches, blending, and clean-up to go!
On Day 3, I touched up the edges, finished the blending areas, and decided to make the end portion all red because the fourth color did not cover like I hoped. Final results can be seen below!
While paint was drying, I also added some Christmas lights!
Before & After
I can't wait to show my students this week!