Last year, our school was lucky enough to have a winner in the annual Meemic Masterpiece Art Contest - current Sophomore Austin B! You can read about his win last year HERE. I was thrilled for him and his winnings, but also for our representation as a school, being the only winner in the Upper Peninsula.
Last week, I was once again THRILLED to receive an email that we have a winner again this year! Out of 2400 applicants the Meemic Foundation judges chose 50 winners and MARISKA LAURILA was one of them as a 7th grader! As a winner, Mariska receives:
1. Amazon Fire Tablet 7
2. Sphero Bolt – the app-enabled robotic ball
3. A personalized Certificate of Appreciation
4. Artwork will be professionally framed and put on permanent display at Meemic’s headquarters located in Auburn Hills, Michigan.
5. Artwork will also be featured in a virtual art gallery that will be held this summer (date to be announced soon).
6. Artwork will also be featured on our website – MeemicFoundation.org!
In addition to that North Central wins a $300 supply grant to be used at Office Depot for supplies for the art room!
Curious about what the actual winning piece is? Here is Mariska's artist statement from her digital portfolio, followed by the piece itself.
For this project we had to choose a topic between a robot, futuristic house, and futuristic school. I chose a futuristic house. The materials I used for this piece were sharpie, pencil, watercolor pens, markers, and pen. To make this piece I first sketched out what I was going to do. I then used sharpie and pen to outline the sketch. Next I colored the picture in using watercolor and marker. Finally I added some final touches regarding the glass part of the house. Overall I think I did exceptionally well.
The video below gives a little glimpse into last year's contest winners and the reception to follow. Congratulations again to Mariska and I'll post updates as they come along!